Invitations to and discounts on major cultural events
We can offer you invitations, discounts and even half-price membership for some of the most prestigious cultural institutions in and around Geneva. Our partners include: Grand Théâtre, La Comédie, Vidy, the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, the Geneva Chamber Orchestra, the Haute Ecole de Musique, and a number of other museums and galleries. Members will receive personal invitations and offers by email.
Cinema and music
The University has a number of cultural organizations that put on events and performances in an array of artistic fields.
The Ciné-Club is one of the most popular. It was set up more than 60 years ago by Claude Goretta, Alain Tanner and Jean Mohr and runs three programmes of film screenings each year. The University choir and the University orchestra also regularly put on choral and symphonic masterpieces in the prestigious Victoria Hall.
The arts-related courses offered by the University are open to the entire UNIGE community. Provided places are available, Alumni can take part at preferential rates. Participants will finish off the year by presenting their work through performances, improv shows, exhibitions and other events. Alumni will also receive invitations to these events.
Other events, shows, talks and screenings are regularly held throughout the year. To be kept up to date, sign up for the weekly cultural newsletter at culture.unige.ch.
Tours and excursions
We organize a range of tours, excursions and other trips for our members. These trips are about more than just sightseeing – they are cultural and educational experiences that provide members with an opportunity to network with other Alumni. They are also a chance for other members of the UNIGE community to share their knowledge and know-how.
Educational trips with researchers and professors
We organize trips with a UNIGE researcher or professors as your guide. These trips may take place close to home or further afield – some of them last an evening, others several weeks. They can cover anything from culture and history to natural phenomena and research facilities.
You can find out more about each destination by clicking on the link in the right column. Please note that places for these trips are limited – we keep the groups small so that you can make the most out of the experience and your guide. But we do try to ensure that we repeat the most popular trips whenever possible.
- Australia (August 2010)
- Mali and Burkina Faso with UNIGE researchers (February 2011)
- Ancient medicine, from body to stars
- Weekend at Stonehenge and Avebury (May 2011)
- Three days in Pompeii (October 2011)
- A week in Albania (October 2012)
- The sources of the Styx, in Arcadia, Greece (May 2013)
- Discovering Ötzi (October 2013)
- Archaeology trip to Cyprus (May 2014)
- Archaeology and gastronomy in Pythagoras’s country (September 2014)
- Discovering Vermeer in Delft (November 2014)
- Sicilian myths and Palermo treasures (May 2015)
- A trip to the heart of Europe’s space research, the Netherlands (October 2015)
- Palaeolithic and Neolithic sites in the Ardèche region, France (February 2016)
- Uncovering Armenia (May 2017)
- Delving into the British Museum (December 2017)
- Following in Van Gogh’s footsteps (September 2018)
- Archaeological dives in southern Sicily (May 2019)
- Palaeolithic treasures in the Dordogne, France (October 2019)
Guided exhibition tours
We regularly organize tours of exhibitions, either with a UNIGE professor or another expert. The Fondation Opale, the Fondation Gianadda, the Musée d’ethnographie de Genève, the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum and the Musée d’art et d’histoire are just some of our regular destinations. And let’s not forget the UNIGE gallery, where we give guided tours of every single exhibition.